OWUMHUxpjkXwiq9lAy9bUXdmnk

Saturday, December 22, 2012

The art of adventure was always there!


Forgive me blogger, for I have sinned.  It has been 52 days since my last blog post!  How quickly the time goes by.  I can’t believe it has been that long since I last posted but here I am, back at it.

A few days ago I was asked to tell about my family mission statements, a few words that set the philosophical basis and direction for the family for a year.  The last last four years our mission statements focused on adventure and it kept us motivated and inspired to keep exploring the great outdoors.  It creates opportunity for bonding, education, confidence, trying new things and is fun for the whole family.  Mission statements can be whatever your family values but it needs to allow something for everyone in order for it to succeed.

Artistic Adventures was our 2012 mission statement.  The idea for this year’s mission statement came about because my children love art; creating it, viewing it; talking about it.  As the year progressed I found this mission to be difficult to follow.  I wrote a quick recap about three months in and shared what I perceived as failure.  Art and Adventure  After this blog post I realized I was trying to create something that may not necessarily be there.  Art does not need to be created.  Art (by one definition) is a diverse range of human activities and the products of those activities.  Once I let go of creating art, I found that our adventures always had art within them. It just took me a while to see it.

In 2012 we found art in culture.  Urban adventures allowed us to be part of the Chinese New Year celebrations where art is everywhere.  The vibrant colors, creative costumes, beautiful dances, and the bang of firecrackers (which implies everyone will be exploding/bursting with good fortune) gave us a glimpse of what the Chinese culture is all about.  



Numerous times throughout the year we found rope to be very much a part of our adventures.  With this rope comes the art of tying knots.  Whether it is climbing, sailing or rigging up a food cache, ropes play a very important role in keeping us safe while adventuring. 
  




It must be genetics but it seems our family is very much drawn to numbers.  So when I was introduced to Fibonacci numbers and learned they are Nature's numbering system, I was ecstatic to say the least.  Pretty sure Liv and I counted the pedals off of hundreds and hundreds of English daisies (lawn daisy) throughout the summertime. 

Several adventures included sand drawings, art at it’s basic.  Walk on a flat sandy beach and anyone would be drawn to creating pictures in the sand. 




Of course photography is at the top of my art list.  This year was a great year for us.  We added to our camera equipment with the purchase of a new lens and won a photo contest with the Canadian Tourism Commission.  That earned us a Gopro and we have now added video to our adventures! 






We will be sneaking in one last adventure before the year’s end and I now realize that art always has been and always will be a part of our adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment