OWUMHUxpjkXwiq9lAy9bUXdmnk

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Putting kids behind the lens - A hiking photography adventure

A while ago I  posted a blog in my series Adventure Chat with Kids about pet peeves. It was a lighthearted chat that had Ben and Liv share some of their pet peeves about adventuring with mom and dad. One thing they both mentioned was the crazy amount of photos we take.  Fair enough but I was honest with them and stated that taking photographs while adventuring will always be a part of what I do. My advice to them - When in Rome...

Slowly Ben and Liv have taken interest in photography and on this particular adventure day, they both were proactive in their desire to take charge of both the camera equipment and photography for the day. I fully embraced their determination and was looking forward to seeing the two very different and unique perspectives they would create in their photographs. It was a tough day to take on photography given the grey clouds, misty weather and dark coastal forest we were hiking in, but they gave it their all.


I was surprised to see that they both captured some pretty amazing shots using aperture. Ben did a great job experimenting with aperture, describing what it was he wanted and ending up capturing the images he intended to catch. Four of his fabulous creations are below.





Liv had a few great aperture shots as well but it was her scene composition and capturing moments of Ben or Ben and I that expresses her style perfectly. She is a story teller and the four shots below certainly tell a story.





Today, I found myself standing around waiting for the two of them to finish taking their shots. Which I secretly loved.  No better time to play a bit myself.  With the dark dreary day, landscape shots were a no go. Not my area of expertise at the best of times so I used the opportunity to capture what I know and love best, Ben and Liv.







Five Tips for Getting Kids Comfortable Behind the Lens

- Support camera use.  Let them take photos when they ask. Give them use of an old camera or trust them with one you currently use.

- Show them some camera features. A quick review of how the camera works and settings to use. Start with the basics like auto focus and zoom. Then move to aperture and shutter speeds.

- Encourage different perspectives. Demonstrate getting low and using different angles. Point out lighting, composition and have them find interesting to them objects to take photos of. Photography is just another form of art.

- Teach them how to hold a camera. Strap around neck, keep fingers out of frame, hold steady with two hands, and rest elbows on knees for added support.

- Allow experimenting. Their photos do not need to be like your photos. They can be blurry or of way too many rocks but if it inspires them to continue taking photographs then keep on letting them experiment.


1 comment:

  1. Omg I LOVE this what an awesome idea, they're a natural behind the lens right on. They did an awesome job too by the way. I can't even pick a favorite because ALL the shots are awesome, oh and a big wave to my neighbor I also live in Canada, BC. as well. =0)

    ReplyDelete